from Emily Weinstein
Coming up on March 27th my class Intro to Oil begins. We explore materials, color theory, composition and learn a number of tricks each class which is over two hours of painting.
April 1st begins En Plein Air in which we have an art adventure
in the great outdoors. The class is collaborating with Triangle
Land Conservancy. We are invited to set-up at this spring’s big event.
Register 0n-line at www.ArtsCenterLive.org
Saturdays, 2-5, April 1 – May 18
Emily Eve Weinstein
News from the Crafts Center
Please join us for a reception
Carol Fountain Nix
Monday, March 20, 2017
5 – 6:30 p.m.
Crafts Center Commons
Frank Thompson Hall
Complimentary parking begins at 5 p.m.
in the Coliseum Deck.
From: Janet Guertin
This time next year our group exhibit at Artspace will have been several weeks in! Wow.
Many of us will be Feb 25, Saturday to plan upcoming TBA events including this show, so to be efficient with our time could you take a few minutes this week to think about a few items I’ve included below? I’d recommend flagging/bookmarking/printing this email as it contains info you might want to refer back to.
A few of us visited the gallery space this week to get some initial inspiration, a few measurements and an overall feel for the space. Pics attached. If you have a chance and haven’t been there in a while I encourage you to take a look. They have knocked out a wall that allows a direct view of the gallery as you walk in the entrance–I’m really excited about the visibility this modification allows! The current exhibit in the space, Location Known, is worth a peek too.
A few details:
- The show will run from Friday, January 26 – Saturday, March 3, 2018, in Gallery 1, the main first floor gallery straight ahead just beyond the entrance.
- Everyone associated with TBA is invited to contribute
- Underlying themes are recycling/upcycling, repurposing for new use or interpretation
- All work should be at minimum composed of 70% recycled/upcycled materials, books, paper, etc
- Each artist can contribute up to 3 pieces (within reason; talk to me if what you’re working on or considering making is large)
Things to consider:
- If you were in the ECU show, are there any pieces you might want to contribute?
- Concept and title: While the underlying theme is upcycling and repurposing of materials I’d like to move away from the title of “Upcycle” as we used before. Here’s a few that have come up so far (some of which could have a second read type treatment):
- emerge: a book’s second life
- pageless: exploring the repurposed book object
- once again
Bring any and all questions you may have, I look forward to discussing further!
That’s all for now. I look forward to seeing everyone next Saturday!
Enjoy the rest of your weekend!
Printmaking With Susan Soper
Calling High School Students, Art Teachers & Art Enthusiasts!
Printmaking Sampler with Susan Soper at Artspace for 5 Thursdays, March 2-30th, from 6-9pm.
Experiment with waterless lithography, white-line etching, polyester plate lithography and more!
Adult (ages 16+) | Artspace
Ever wonder what the difference is between printmaking techniques? In this sampler class students will experiment with waterless and polyester plate lithography, white line etching and relief techniques. Chine colle (a collage method) and various printmaking papers will also be explored.
To register visit: artspacenc.org
Call: 919 821-2787
Upcoming Books Arts classes with Kathy Steinsberger at Blam! Studio, 301-1 Kinsey St. Raleigh, NC 27603
To Register: Call Kathy at 919-605-3662 or email: ksteinsberger Limited enrollment, all levels
3 Japanese Books and Case
Create 3 beautiful Japanese style books with lovely Japanese papers then bind them in 3 styles of Japanese stab bindings, the Tortoise Shell, the Hemp Leaf, and the Kanshi binding. Continue reading
From Brian Allen’s newsletter:
Hello to those who love letters and words and letterpress!
A print I did in November for a retirement.
It’s time to learn more printing and book arts skills!
Josh Hockensmith and Mark Iwinski
February 5th – March 27th, 2017
HORACE WILLIAMS HOUSE
ARTIST’S RECEPTION: Sunday, February 5th, 2-4 PM
HORACE WILLIAMS HOUSE
610 East Rosemary Street
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
THE HORACE WILLIAMS HOUSE IS OPEN THURSDAYS & FRIDAYS, 12 – 4 PM
SUNDAYS, 2 – 5 PM and FRIDAY night, February 10th for Second Friday Art Walk, 6-8 PM
and by appointment
Supported, in part, by grants from The Orange County Arts Commission and the Durham Arts Council Emerging Artists Program